Within the Subject Matter Research Lab, an on-going clinical trial is investigating the effectiveness and implementation of Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY), a breathing-based meditation intervention for Canadian Veterans living with PTSD. To support the development of a community of practice and learning around the SKY-PTSD research study, we are hosting monthly webinars. This provides an opportunity for people to learn more about Veterans health with peers and experts in the field. To read more about the specific topics and dates, see the Schedule section below.
For more information about the project, visit the page here.
– To strengthen and maintain collaboration and engagement with stakeholders.
– To bring awareness to the evidence of the SKY program as a virtual breathing-based meditation for Veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces and Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) living with PTSD.
– To present various topics to service providers, clinicians, Veterans, families, and supporting organizations as they relate to Veterans’ health.
– To support the development of a community of practice and learning around the SKY-PTSD trial.
Join us monthly for opportunities to learn about key topics with peers and experts as they relate to Veterans’ health and well-being!
This webinar will discuss the concepts of stress and trauma experienced by adults including Veterans, and relevant therapies and evidence-based interventions. Dr. Abraham Rudnick, Clinical Director of the Nova Scotia Operational Stress Injury (OSI) Clinic, will speak about the concepts, characteristics, biopsychosocial interventions, and trauma-informed interactions.
– Educate about the concepts of stress and trauma, and the range of impacts experienced by adults including Veterans.
– To define characteristics of trauma and stressor related disorders, i.e., PTSD including comorbidities.
– Explain the most common therapies (psychotherapies, pharmacotherapies, non-pharmacological, others) for PTSD.
– Explain new research about therapies for PTSD (and related conditions).
Join this webinar to learn more about a form of breathing-based meditation, Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY), that is being studied for its effects on Veterans living with PTSD. Panelists Leslye Moore, National Director of Project Welcome Home Troops, and Spencer Delisle, a certified SKY instructor and Vice President of the International Association for Human Values, will discuss the application surrounding the meditation intervention, SKY, including sharing testimonials from Veterans. This webinar will also discuss how Sudarshan Kriya Yoga works, including a live interactive demonstration of a few light stretches, breathing techniques and meditation.
– Educate about Sudarshan Kriya Yoga (SKY) as an emerging intervention for Veterans living with PTSD.
– Discuss the application of SKY in clinical and non-clinical settings.
– Discuss past and current activities/events involving SKY and their impact.
This webinar will discuss Mindfulness-Based Interventions in rehabilitation. Panelist, Dr. Robert Simpson, a specialist physician and researcher at the Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, will discuss the use, feasibility, safety, and effectiveness of Mindfulness-based Interventions in rehabilitation. Rehabilitation is founded in a biopsychosocial model of health and seeks to optimize function and quality of life in people with disabling long-term conditions.
– Define mindfulness and Mindfulness-based interventions.
– Discuss theoretical basis and putative mechanisms of action for Mindfulness-based interventions.
– Explore Mindfulness-based interventions through the lens of complexity.
– Review scientific evidence for the feasibility, safety, and effectiveness of Mindfulness-based interventions among typical rehabilitation populations.